RHSA-2007:1117 - Security Advisory
Critical: samba security update
Security Advisory: Critical
Updated samba packages that fix a security issue are now available for Red
Hat Enterprise Linux 4.5 Extended Update Support.
This update has been rated as having critical security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
Samba is a suite of programs used by machines to share files, printers, and
A stack buffer overflow flaw was found in the way Samba authenticates
remote users. A remote unauthenticated user could trigger this flaw to
cause the Samba server to crash, or execute arbitrary code with the
permissions of the Samba server. (CVE-2007-6015)
Red Hat would like to thank Alin Rad Pop of Secunia Research for
responsibly disclosing this issue.
Users of Samba are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which
contain a backported patch to resolve this issue.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server - Extended Update Support 4.5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server - Extended Update Support 4.5 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server - Extended Update Support 4.5 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems - Extended Update Support 4.5 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems - Extended Update Support 4.5 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian - Extended Update Support 4.5 ppc
- BZ - 396401 - CVE-2007-6015 samba: send_mailslot() buffer overflow
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian - Extended Update Support 4.5