RHSA-2007:1063 - Security Advisory
Important: pcre security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated pcre packages that resolve several security issues are now
available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.
This update has been rated as having important security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
PCRE is a Perl-compatible regular expression library.
Flaws were discovered in the way PCRE handles certain malformed regular
expressions. If an application linked against PCRE, such as Konqueror,
parsed a malicious regular expression, it may have been possible to run
arbitrary code as the user running the application. (CVE-2006-7228,
Users of PCRE are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which
contain backported patches to resolve these issues.
Red Hat would like to thank Ludwig Nussel for reporting these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 315881 - CVE-2007-1660 pcre regular expression flaws
- BZ - 383371 - CVE-2006-7228 pcre integer overflow
This erratum does not contain any packages.