RHSA-2007:1049 - Security Advisory
Security Advisory: Important
Updated kernel packages that fix several security issues and a bug in the
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 kernel are now available.
This update has been rated as having important security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
The kernel packages contain the Linux kernel, the core of any Linux
A flaw was found in the handling of process death signals. This allowed a
local user to send arbitrary signals to the suid-process executed by that
user. A successful exploitation of this flaw depends on the structure of
the suid-program and its signal handling. (CVE-2007-3848, Important)
A flaw was found in the IPv4 forwarding base. This allowed a local user to
cause a denial of service. (CVE-2007-2172, Important)
A flaw was found where a corrupted executable file could cause cross-region
memory mappings on Itanium systems. This allowed a local user to cause a
denial of service. (CVE-2006-4538, Moderate)
A flaw was found in the stack expansion when using the hugetlb kernel on
PowerPC systems. This allowed a local user to cause a denial of service.
A flaw was found in the aacraid SCSI driver. This allowed a local user to
make ioctl calls to the driver that should be restricted to privileged
users. (CVE-2007-4308, Moderate)
As well, these updated packages fix the following bug:
- a bug in the TCP header prediction code may have caused "TCP: Treason
uncloaked!" messages to be logged. In certain situations this may have lead
to TCP connections hanging or aborting.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 users are advised to upgrade to these updated
packages, which contain backported patches to resolve these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 249237 - IPV4 'Treason uncloaked' message - hints at a more general kernel/net bug
- BZ - 250429 - CVE-2007-2172 fib_semantics.c out of bounds access vulnerability
- BZ - 250972 - CVE-2007-3848 Privilege escalation via PR_SET_PDEATHSIG
- BZ - 252309 - CVE-2007-4308 Missing ioctl() permission checks in aacraid driver
- BZ - 289151 - CVE-2006-4538 Local DoS with corrupted ELF
- BZ - 294941 - CVE-2007-3739 LTC36188-Don't allow the stack to grow into hugetlb reserved regions