RHSA-2007:1013 - Security Advisory
Critical: samba security update
Security Advisory: Critical
Updated samba packages that fix several security issues are now available
for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1 and 3.
This update has been rated as having critical security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
Samba is a suite of programs used by machines to share files, printers, and
A buffer overflow flaw was found in the way Samba creates NetBIOS replies.
If a Samba server is configured to run as a WINS server, a remote
unauthenticated user could cause the Samba server to crash or execute
arbitrary code. (CVE-2007-5398)
A heap-based buffer overflow flaw was found in the way Samba authenticates
users. A remote unauthenticated user could trigger this flaw to cause the
Samba server to crash. Careful analysis of this flaw has determined that
arbitrary code execution is not possible, and under most circumstances will
not result in a crash of the Samba server. (CVE-2007-4572)
Red Hat would like to thank Alin Rad Pop of Secunia Research, and the Samba
developers for responsibly disclosing these issues.
Users of Samba are advised to ugprade to these updated packages, which
contain backported patches to resolve these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 294631 - CVE-2007-4572 samba buffer overflow
- BZ - 358831 - CVE-2007-5398 Samba "reply_netbios_packet()" Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
This erratum does not contain any packages.