RHSA-2007:0967 - Security Advisory
Critical: pcre security update
Security Advisory: Critical
Updated pcre packages that correct two security flaws are now available for
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.
This update has been rated as having critical security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
PCRE is a Perl-compatible regular expression library.
Multiple flaws were found in the way pcre handles certain malformed regular
expressions. If an application linked against pcre, such as Konqueror,
parses a malicious regular expression, it may be possible to run arbitrary
code as the user running the application. (CVE-2007-1659, CVE-2007-1660)
Users of pcre are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which
contain backported patches to correct these issues.
Red Hat would like to thank Tavis Ormandy and Will Drewry for properly
disclosing these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 5 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 5 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 5 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 5 ppc
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server from RHUI 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server from RHUI 5 i386
- BZ - 315871 - CVE-2007-1659 pcre regular expression flaws
- BZ - 315881 - CVE-2007-1660 pcre regular expression flaws
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5