RHSA-2007:0878 - Security Advisory
Moderate: cyrus-sasl security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated cyrus-sasl packages that correct a security issue are now available
for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
The cyrus-sasl package contains the Cyrus implementation of SASL.
SASL is the Simple Authentication and Security Layer, a method for
adding authentication support to connection-based protocols.
A bug was found in cyrus-sasl's DIGEST-MD5 authentication mechanism. As
part of the DIGEST-MD5 authentication exchange, the client is expected to
send a specific set of information to the server. If one of these items
(the "realm") was not sent or was malformed, it was possible for a remote
unauthenticated attacker to cause a denial of service (segmentation fault)
on the server. (CVE-2006-1721)
Users of cyrus-sasl should upgrade to these updated packages, which contain a
backported patch to correct this issue.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 252339 - CVE-2006-1721 cyrus-sasl digest-md5 DoS
This erratum does not contain any packages.