RHSA-2007:0813 - Security Advisory
Moderate: openssl security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated OpenSSL packages that correct security issues are now available for
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1 and 3.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
OpenSSL is a toolkit that implements Secure Sockets Layer (SSL v2/v3) and
Transport Layer Security (TLS v1) protocols as well as a full-strength
general purpose cryptography library.
A flaw was found in the SSL_get_shared_ciphers() utility function. An
attacker could send a list of ciphers to an application that used this
function and overrun a buffer with a single byte (CVE-2007-5135). Few
applications make use of this vulnerable function and generally it is used
only when applications are compiled for debugging.
A number of possible side-channel attacks were discovered affecting
OpenSSL. A local attacker could possibly obtain RSA private keys being
used on a system. In practice these attacks would be difficult to perform
outside of a lab environment. This update contains backported patches
designed to mitigate these issues. (CVE-2007-3108).
Users of OpenSSL should upgrade to these updated packages, which contain
backported patches to resolve these issues.
Note: After installing this update, users are advised to either restart all
services that use OpenSSL or restart their system.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 245732 - CVE-2007-3108 RSA side-channel attack
- BZ - 250573 - CVE-NONE openssl branch prediction attacks
- BZ - 309801 - CVE-2007-5135 openssl SSL_get_shared_ciphers() off-by-one
This erratum does not contain any packages.