RHSA-2007:0703 - Security Advisory
Moderate: openssh security and bug fix update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated openssh packages that fix two security issues and various bugs are
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
OpenSSH is OpenBSD's SSH (Secure SHell) protocol implementation. These
packages include the core files necessary for both the OpenSSH client and
A flaw was found in the way the ssh server wrote account names to the
audit subsystem. An attacker could inject strings containing parts of audit
messages which could possibly mislead or confuse audit log parsing tools.
A flaw was found in the way the OpenSSH server processes GSSAPI
authentication requests. When GSSAPI authentication was enabled in OpenSSH
server, a remote attacker may have been able to determine if a username is
The following bugs were also fixed:
- the ssh daemon did not generate audit messages when an ssh session was
- GSSAPI authentication sometimes failed on clusters using DNS or
- the sftp client and server leaked small amounts of memory in some cases.
- the sftp client didn't properly exit and return non-zero status in batch
mode when the destination disk drive was full.
- when restarting the ssh daemon with the initscript, the ssh daemon was
sometimes not restarted successfully because the old running ssh daemon was
not properly killed.
- with challenge/response authentication enabled, the pam sub-process was
not terminated if the user authentication timed out.
All users of openssh should upgrade to these updated packages, which
contain patches to correct these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 234643 - CVE-2006-5052 Kerberos information leak
- BZ - 240909 - memory leak fixed in RHEL3 but present in RHEL4
- BZ - 244655 - Trying to restart a hung/frozen sshd daemon doesn't show correct status
- BZ - 247802 - sftp problem while transferring files to a partition which is 100% full
- BZ - 248058 - CVE-2007-3102 audit logging of failed logins
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4