RHSA-2007:0671 - Security Advisory
Moderate: kernel security and bugfix update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated kernel packages that fix several security issues and bugs in the
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 kernel are now available.
This security advisory has been rated as having moderate security impact
by the Red Hat Security Response Team.
The Linux kernel handles the basic functions of the operating system.
These new kernel packages contain fixes for the security issues described
- a flaw in the ISDN CAPI subsystem that allowed a remote user to cause a
denial of service or potential privilege escalation. (CVE-2007-1217, Moderate)
- a flaw in the Bluetooth subsystem that allowed a local user to trigger an
information leak. (CVE-2007-1353, Low)
In addition to the security issues described above, fixes for the following
have been included:
- a race condition in the e1000 network driver that could cause ESB2
systems to be started without the RX unit being turned on.
- a related e1000 bug on ESB2 systems that could cause rlogin to fail.
Red Hat would like to thank Ilja van Sprundel for reporting an issue fixed
in this erratum.
Note: The kernel-unsupported package contains various drivers and modules
that are unsupported and therefore might contain security problems that
have not been addressed.
All Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 users are advised to upgrade their kernels
to the packages associated with their machine architecture and
configurations as listed in this erratum.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 231069 - CVE-2007-1217 Overflow in CAPI subsystem
- BZ - 234294 - CVE-2007-1353 Bluetooth setsockopt() information leaks
This erratum does not contain any packages.