RHSA-2007:0384 - Security Advisory
Critical: krb5 security update
Security Advisory: Critical
Updated krb5 packages that fix several security flaws are now available for
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1 and 3.
This update has been rated as having critical security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
Kerberos is a network authentication system which allows clients and
servers to authenticate to each other through use of symmetric encryption
and a trusted third party, the KDC. kadmind is the KADM5 administration
David Coffey discovered an uninitialized pointer free flaw in the RPC
library used by kadmind. A remote unauthenticated attacker who can access
kadmind could trigger this flaw and cause kadmind to crash or potentially
execute arbitrary code as root. (CVE-2007-2442)
David Coffey also discovered an overflow flaw in the RPC library used by
kadmind. On Red Hat Enterprise Linux, exploitation of this flaw is limited
to a denial of service. A remote unauthenticated attacker who can access
kadmind could trigger this flaw and cause kadmind to crash. (CVE-2007-2443)
A stack buffer overflow flaw was found in kadmind. An authenticated
attacker who can access kadmind could trigger this flaw and potentially
execute arbitrary code on the Kerberos server. (CVE-2007-2798)
For Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1, several portability bugs which would lead
to unexpected crashes on the ia64 platform have also been fixed.
Users of krb5-server are advised to update to these erratum packages which
contain backported fixes to correct these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 241590 - kadmin core dumps on ia64
- BZ - 245547 - CVE-2007-2442 krb5 RPC library unitialized pointer free
- BZ - 245548 - CVE-2007-2443 krb5 RPC library stack overflow
- BZ - 245549 - CVE-2007-2798 krb5 kadmind buffer overflow
This erratum does not contain any packages.