RHSA-2007:0346 - Security Advisory
Moderate: vim security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated vim packages that fix a security issue are now available for Red
Hat Enterprise Linux 5.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red Hat
Security Response Team.
VIM (VIsual editor iMproved) is a version of the vi editor.
An arbitrary command execution flaw was found in the way VIM processes
modelines. If a user with modelines enabled opened a text file containing
a carefully crafted modeline, arbitrary commands could be executed as the user
running VIM. (CVE-2007-2438)
Users of VIM are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which
resolve this issue.
Please note: this issue did not affect VIM as distributed with Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 2.1, 3, or 4.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 5 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 5 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 5 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 5 ppc
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server from RHUI 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server from RHUI 5 i386
- BZ - 238259 - CVE-2007-2438 vim-7 modeline security issue
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5