RHSA-2007:0203 - Security Advisory
Low: unzip security and bug fix update
Security Advisory: Low
Updated unzip packages that fix two security issues and various bugs are
This update has been rated as having low security impact by the Red Hat
Security Response Team.
The unzip utility is used to list, test, or extract files from a zip archive.
A race condition was found in Unzip. Local users could use this flaw to
modify permissions of arbitrary files via a hard link attack on a file
while it was being decompressed (CVE-2005-2475)
A buffer overflow was found in Unzip command line argument handling.
If a user could be tricked into running Unzip with a specially crafted long
file name, an attacker could execute arbitrary code with that user's
As well, this update adds support for files larger than 2GB.
All users of unzip should upgrade to these updated packages, which
contain backported patches that resolve these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 164927 - CVE-2005-2475 TOCTOU issue in unzip
- BZ - 178960 - CVE-2005-4667 unzip long filename buffer overflow
- BZ - 199104 - unzip has not been compiled with large file support and cannot unzip files > 2G
- BZ - 230558 - unzip-5.51-8 leaves files as read-only (400)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4