RHSA-2006:0733 - Security Advisory
Critical: firefox security update
Security Advisory: Critical
Updated firefox packages that fix several security bugs are now available
for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
This update has been rated as having critical security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
Mozilla Firefox is an open source Web browser.
Several flaws were found in the way Firefox processes certain malformed
arbitrary code as the user running Firefox. (CVE-2006-5463, CVE-2006-5747,
Several flaws were found in the way Firefox renders web pages. A malicious
web page could cause the browser to crash or possibly execute arbitrary
code as the user running Firefox. (CVE-2006-5464)
A flaw was found in the way Firefox verifies RSA signatures. For RSA keys
with exponent 3 it is possible for an attacker to forge a signature that
would be incorrectly verified by the NSS library. Firefox as shipped trusts
several root Certificate Authorities that use exponent 3. An attacker could
have created a carefully crafted SSL certificate which be incorrectly
trusted when their site was visited by a victim. This flaw was previously
thought to be fixed in Firefox 220.127.116.11, however Ulrich Kuehn discovered the
fix was incomplete (CVE-2006-5462)
Users of Firefox are advised to upgrade to these erratum packages, which
contain Firefox version 18.104.22.168 that corrects these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 214445 - CVE-2006-5462 Multiple firefox vulnerabilities (CVE-2006-5463, CVE-2006-5464, CVE-2006-5747, CVE-2006-5748)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4