RHSA-2006:0666 - Security Advisory
XFree86 security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated XFree86 packages that fix a security issue are now available for Red
Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1 and 3.
This update has been rated as having important security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
XFree86 is an implementation of the X Window System, which provides the
core functionality for the Linux graphical desktop.
iDefense reported two integer overflow flaws in the way the XFree86 server
processed CID font files. A malicious authorized client could exploit this
issue to cause a denial of service (crash) or potentially execute arbitrary
code with root privileges on the XFree86 server. (CVE-2006-3739,
Users of XFree86 should upgrade to these updated packages, which contain a
backported patch and is not vulnerable to this issue.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 204549 - CVE-2006-3739 X CID font parser multiple integer overflows (CVE-2006-3740)
This erratum does not contain any packages.