RHSA-2006:0573 - Security Advisory
openoffice.org security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated openoffice.org packages are now available.
This update has been rated as having important security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
OpenOffice.org is an office productivity suite that includes desktop
applications such as a word processor, spreadsheet, presentation manager,
formula editor, and drawing program.
A Sun security specialist reported an issue with the application framework.
An attacker could put macros into document locations that could cause
OpenOffice.org to execute them when the file was opened by a victim.
A bug was found in the OpenOffice.org Java virtual machine implementation.
An attacker could write a carefully crafted Java applet that can break
through the "sandbox" and have full access to system resources with the
current user privileges. (CVE-2006-2199)
A buffer overflow bug was found in the OpenOffice.org file processor. An
attacker could create a carefully crafted XML file that could cause
OpenOffice.org to write data to an arbitrary location in memory when the
file was opened by a victim. (CVE-2006-3117)
All users of OpenOffice.org are advised to upgrade to these updated
packages, which contain backported fixes for these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 196679 - CVE-2006-2198 various OOo advisories (CVE-2006-2199, CVE-2006-3117)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4