RHSA-2006:0548 - Security Advisory
kdebase security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated kdebase packages that correct a security flaw in kdm are now
available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
This update has been rated as having important security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
The kdebase packages provide the core applications for KDE, the K Desktop
Environment. These core packages include the KDE Display Manager (KDM).
Ludwig Nussel discovered a flaw in KDM. A malicious local KDM user could
use a symlink attack to read an arbitrary file that they would not normally
have permissions to read. (CVE-2006-2449)
Note: this issue does not affect the version of KDM as shipped with Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 2.1 or 3.
All users of KDM should upgrade to these updated packages which contain a
backported patch to correct this issue.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 194581 - CVE-2006-2449 kdm file disclosure
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4