RHSA-2006:0498 - Security Advisory
xscreensaver security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
An updated xscreensaver package that fixes two security flaws is now
available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1 and 3.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
XScreenSaver is a collection of screensavers.
A keyboard focus flaw was found in the way XScreenSaver prompts the user to
enter their password to unlock the screen. XScreenSaver did not properly
ensure it had proper keyboard focus, which could leak a users password to
the program with keyboard focus. This behavior is not common, as only certain
applications exhibit this focus error. (CVE-2004-2655)
Several flaws were found in the way various XScreenSaver screensavers
create temporary files. It may be possible for a local attacker to create a
temporary file in way that could overwrite a different file to which the user
running XScreenSaver has write permissions. (CVE-2003-1294)
Users of XScreenSaver should upgrade to this updated package, which
contains backported patches to correct these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 182287 - CVE-2003-1294 xscreensaver temporary file flaws
- BZ - 188149 - CVE-2004-2655 xscreensaver passes password to other applications
This erratum does not contain any packages.