RHSA-2006:0298 - Security Advisory
openssh security update
Security Advisory: Low
Updated openssh packages that fix bugs in sshd are now available for Red
Hat Enterprise Linux 3.
This update has been rated as having low security impact by the Red Hat
Security Response Team.
OpenSSH is OpenBSD's SSH (Secure SHell) protocol implementation. This
package includes the core files necessary for both the OpenSSH client and
An arbitrary command execution flaw was discovered in the way scp copies
files locally. It is possible for a local attacker to create a file with a
carefully crafted name that could execute arbitrary commands as the user
running scp to copy files locally. (CVE-2006-0225)
The SSH daemon, when restricting host access by numeric IP addresses and
with VerifyReverseMapping disabled, allows remote attackers to bypass
"from=" and "user@host" address restrictions by connecting to a host from a
system whose reverse DNS hostname contains the numeric IP address.
The following issues have also been fixed in this update:
- If the sshd service was stopped using the sshd init script while the
main sshd daemon was not running, the init script would kill other sshd
processes, such as the running sessions. For example, this could happen
when the 'service sshd stop' command was issued twice.
- When privilege separation was enabled, the last login message was printed
only for the root user.
- The sshd daemon was sending messages to the system log from a signal
handler when debug logging was enabled. This could cause a deadlock of
the user's connection.
All users of openssh should upgrade to these updated packages, which
resolve these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 164661 - CVE-2003-0386 host based access bypass
- BZ - 167886 - init script kills all running sshd's if listening server is stopped
- BZ - 170463 - CVE-2006-0225 local to local copy uses shell expansion twice
- BZ - 172564 - I can't see "Last login" message after logged via ssh
This erratum does not contain any packages.