RHSA-2006:0201 - Security Advisory
xpdf security update
Security Advisory: Important
An updated xpdf package that fixes a buffer overflow security issue is now
This update has been rated as having important security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
The xpdf package is an X Window System-based viewer for Portable Document
Format (PDF) files.
A heap based buffer overflow bug was discovered in Xpdf. An attacker could
construct a carefully crafted PDF file that could cause Xpdf to crash or
possibly execute arbitrary code when opened. The Common Vulnerabilities and
Exposures project assigned the name CVE-2006-0301 to this issue.
Users of Xpdf should upgrade to this updated package, which contains a
backported patch to resolve these issues.
Red Hat would like to thank Dirk Mueller for reporting this issue and
providing a patch.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 179046 - CVE-2006-0301 PDF splash handling heap overflow
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4