RHSA-2006:0129 - Security Advisory
spamassassin security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
An updated spamassassin package that fixes a denial of service flaw is now
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
SpamAssassin provides a way to reduce unsolicited commercial email (SPAM)
from incoming email.
A denial of service bug was found in SpamAssassin. An attacker could
construct a message in such a way that would cause SpamAssassin to crash.
If a number of these messages are sent, it could lead to a denial of
service, potentially preventing the delivery or filtering of email. The
Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) assigned the
name CVE-2005-3351 to this issue.
The following issues have also been fixed in this update:
- service spamassassin restart sometimes fails
- Content Boundary "--" throws off message parser
- sa-learn: massive memory usage on large messages
- High memory usage with many newlines
- service spamassassin messages not translated
- Numerous other bug fixes that improve spam filter accuracy and safety
Users of SpamAssassin should upgrade to this updated package containing
version 3.0.5, which is not vulnerable to these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4