RHSA-2006:0044 - Security Advisory
openssh security update
Security Advisory: Low
Updated openssh packages that fix bugs in sshd and add auditing of user
logins are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
This update has been rated as having low security impact by the Red Hat
Security Response Team.
OpenSSH is OpenBSD's SSH (Secure SHell) protocol implementation. This
package includes the core files necessary for both the OpenSSH client and
An arbitrary command execution flaw was discovered in the way scp copies
files locally. It is possible for a local attacker to create a file with a
carefully crafted name that could execute arbitrary commands as the user
running scp to copy files locally. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures
project (cve.mitre.org) assigned the name CVE-2006-0225 to this issue.
The following issue has also been fixed in this update:
- If the sshd service was stopped using the sshd init script while the
main sshd daemon was not running, the init script would kill other sshd
processes, such as the running sessions. For example, this could happen
when the 'service sshd stop' command was issued twice.
Additionally, this update implements auditing of user logins through the
system audit service.
All users of openssh should upgrade to these updated packages, which
resolve these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 170466 - CVE-2006-0225 local to local copy uses shell expansion twice
- BZ - 170468 - init script kills all running sshd's if listening server is stopped
- BZ - 170568 - add audit message to sshd
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4