RHSA-2005:881 - Security Advisory
perl security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated Perl packages that fix security issues and bugs are now available
for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
Perl is a high-level programming language commonly used for system
administration utilities and Web programming.
An integer overflow bug was found in Perl's format string processor. It is
possible for an attacker to cause perl to crash or execute arbitrary code
if the attacker is able to process a malicious format string. This issue
is only exploitable through a script wich passes arbitrary untrusted
strings to the format string processor. The Common Vulnerabilities and
Exposures project assigned the name CVE-2005-3962 to this issue.
Paul Szabo discovered a bug in the way Perl's File::Path::rmtree module
removed directory trees. If a local user has write permissions to a
subdirectory within the tree being removed by File::Path::rmtree, it is
possible for them to create setuid binary files. (CVE-2005-0448)
Solar Designer discovered several temporary file bugs in various Perl
modules. A local attacker could overwrite or create files as the user
running a Perl script that uses a vulnerable module. (CVE-2004-0976)
Users of Perl are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which
contain backported patches to correct these issues as well as fixes for
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 123176 - [RFE] Need new perl rpm release that fixes threaded memory leak
- BZ - 135975 - Perl's 'study' function breaks regexp matching
- BZ - 136325 - CVE-2004-0976 temporary file vulnerabilities in Perl
- BZ - 137075 - Apparent utf8 bug in Perl's join()
- BZ - 145215 - garbage after split()
- BZ - 147946 - Man::Pod does not return true
- BZ - 161053 - CVE-2005-0448 perl File::Path.pm rmtree race condition
- BZ - 165078 - Broken POSIX in perl-5.8.0
- BZ - 166732 - 'split'/'index' problem for utf8
- BZ - 172160 - perl bug # 22372: SIGSEGV in sv_chop()
- BZ - 172256 - bits/resource.ph has syntax errors
- BZ - 172317 - (libperl) could not run system-config-printer
- BZ - 174717 - CVE-2005-3962 Perl integer overflow issue
- BZ - 175135 - Cannot set undef timeout in perl 5.8.0 IO::Socket
This erratum does not contain any packages.