RHSA-2005:850 - Security Advisory
imap security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
An updated imap package that fixes a buffer overflow issue is now available.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
The imap package provides server daemons for both the IMAP (Internet
Message Access Protocol) and POP (Post Office Protocol) mail access protocols.
A buffer overflow flaw was discovered in the way the c-client library
parses user supplied mailboxes. If an authenticated user requests a
specially crafted mailbox name, it may be possible to execute arbitrary
code on a server that uses the library. The Common Vulnerabilities and
Exposures project has assigned the name CVE-2005-2933 to this issue.
All users of imap should upgrade to these updated packages, which contain a
backported patch and are not vulnerable to this issue.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 169953 - CVE-2005-2933 imap buffer overflow
This erratum does not contain any packages.