RHSA-2005:848 - Security Advisory
libc-client security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated libc-client packages that fix a buffer overflow issue are now
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
C-client is a common API for accessing mailboxes.
A buffer overflow flaw was discovered in the way C-client parses user
supplied mailboxes. If an authenticated user requests a specially crafted
mailbox name, it may be possible to execute arbitrary code on a server that
uses C-client to access mailboxes. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures
project has assigned the name CVE-2005-2933 to this issue.
All users of libc-client should upgrade to these updated packages, which
contain a backported patch that resolves this issue.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 171344 - CVE-2005-2933 imap buffer overflow
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4