RHSA-2005:788 - Security Advisory
HelixPlayer security update
Security Advisory: Critical
An updated HelixPlayer package that fixes a string format issue is now
This update has been rated as having critical security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
HelixPlayer is a media player.
A format string bug was discovered in the way HelixPlayer processes RealPix
(.rp) files. It is possible for a malformed RealPix file to execute
arbitrary code as the user running HelixPlayer. The Common Vulnerabilities
and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CAN-2005-2710
to this issue.
All users of HelixPlayer are advised to upgrade to this updated package,
which contains HelixPlayer version 10.0.6 and is not vulnerable to this issue.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 168078 - CAN-2005-2710 HelixPlayer Format String Flaw
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4