RHSA-2005:772 - Security Advisory
cups security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated CUPS packages that fix a security issue are now available for Red
Hat Enterprise Linux.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
The Common UNIX Printing System (CUPS) provides a portable printing layer
for UNIX(R) operating systems.
A bug was found in the way CUPS processes malformed HTTP requests. It is
possible for a remote user capable of connecting to the CUPS daemon to
issue a malformed HTTP GET request that causes CUPS to enter an
infinite loop. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project
(cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CAN-2005-2874 to this issue.
Two small bugs have also been fixed in this update. A signal handling
problem has been fixed that could occasionally cause the scheduler to stop
when told to reload. A problem with tracking open file descriptors under
certain specific circumstances has also been fixed.
All users of CUPS should upgrade to these erratum packages, which contain a
patch to correct this issue.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 164641 - [PATCH] cupsd segfault when SIGCHLD received
- BZ - 164642 - Cupsd hangs on reading pipe with recycled file descriptor.
- BZ - 168072 - CAN-2005-2874 Malformed HTTP Request URL denial of service
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4