RHSA-2005:751 - Security Advisory
openldap and nss_ldap security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated openldap and nss_ldap packages that correct a potential password
disclosure issue are now available.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
OpenLDAP is an open source suite of LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access
Protocol) applications and development tools.
The nss_ldap module is an extension for use with GNU libc which allows
applications to, without internal modification, consult a directory service
using LDAP to supplement information that would be read from local files
such as /etc/passwd, /etc/group, and /etc/shadow.
A bug was found in the way OpenLDAP, nss_ldap, and pam_ldap refer LDAP
servers. If a client connection is referred to a different server, it is
possible that the referred connection will not be encrypted even if the
client has "ssl start_tls" in its ldap.conf file. The Common
Vulnerabilities and Exposures project has assigned the name CAN-2005-2069
to this issue.
A bug was also found in the way certain OpenLDAP authentication schemes
store hashed passwords. A remote attacker could re-use a hashed password to
gain access to unauthorized resources. The Common Vulnerabilities and
Exposures project has assigned the name CAN-2004-0823 to this issue.
All users of OpenLDAP and nss_ldap are advised to upgrade to these updated
packages, which contain backported fixes that resolve these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 156386 - CAN-2004-0823 openldap hashed password re-use
- BZ - 162482 - CAN-2005-2069 openldap password disclosure issue
This erratum does not contain any packages.