RHSA-2005:685 - Security Advisory
mysql security update
Security Advisory: Low
Updated mysql packages that fix a temporary file flaw and a number of bugs
are now available.
This update has been rated as having low security impact by the Red Hat
Security Response Team.
MySQL is a multi-user, multi-threaded SQL database server. MySQL is a
client/server implementation consisting of a server daemon (mysqld)
and many different client programs and libraries.
An insecure temporary file handling bug was found in the mysql_install_db
script. It is possible for a local user to create specially crafted files
in /tmp which could allow them to execute arbitrary SQL commands during
database installation. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project
(cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CAN-2005-1636 to this issue.
These packages update mysql to version 4.1.12, fixing a number of problems.
Also, support for SSL-encrypted connections to the database server is now
All users of mysql are advised to upgrade to these updated packages.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 158688 - CAN-2005-1636 mysql insecure temporary file creation
- BZ - 163694 - Parser issue with subqueries involving unions
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4