RHSA-2005:670 - Security Advisory
xpdf security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
An updated xpdf package that fixes a security issue is now available for
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
The xpdf package is an X Window System-based viewer for Portable Document
Format (PDF) files.
A flaw was discovered in Xpdf in that an attacker could construct a
carefully crafted PDF file that would cause Xpdf to consume all available
disk space in /tmp when opened. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures
project assigned the name CAN-2005-2097 to this issue.
Note this issue does not affect the version of Xpdf in Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 3 or 2.1.
Users of xpdf should upgrade to this updated package, which contains a
backported patch to resolve this issue.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 163918 - CAN-2005-2097 xpdf DoS
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4