RHSA-2005:571 - Security Advisory
cups security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated CUPS packages that fix a security issue are now available for Red
Hat Enterprise Linux 3.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red Hat
Security Response Team.
The Common UNIX Printing System (CUPS) provides a portable printing layer for
UNIX(R) operating systems.
When processing a request, the CUPS scheduler would use case-sensitive
matching on the queue name to decide which authorization policy should be
used. However, queue names are not case-sensitive. An unauthorized user
could print to a password-protected queue without needing a password. The
Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project has assigned the name
CAN-2005-2154 to this issue.
Please note that the version of CUPS included in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
is not vulnerable to this issue.
All users of CUPS should upgrade to these erratum packages which contain a
backported patch to correct this issue.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 162405 - CAN-2004-2154 <Location ...> directive is case-sensitive in cupsd.conf but should not