RHSA-2005:524 - Security Advisory
freeradius security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated freeradius packages that fix a buffer overflow and possible SQL
injection attacks in the sql module are now available.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
FreeRADIUS is a high-performance and highly configurable free RADIUS server
designed to allow centralized authentication and authorization for a network.
A buffer overflow bug was found in the way FreeRADIUS escapes data in an
SQL query. An attacker may be able to crash FreeRADIUS if they cause
FreeRADIUS to escape a string containing three or less characters. The
Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned
the name CAN-2005-1454 to this issue.
Additionally a bug was found in the way FreeRADIUS escapes SQL data. It is
possible that an authenticated user could execute arbitrary SQL queries by
sending a specially crafted request to FreeRADIUS. The Common
Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name
CAN-2005-1455 to this issue.
Users of FreeRADIUS should update to these erratum packages, which contain
backported patches and are not vulnerable to these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 156941 - CAN-2005-1454 Multiple issues in freeradius (CAN-2005-1455)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4