RHSA-2005:523 - Security Advisory
RealPlayer security update
Security Advisory: Critical
An updated RealPlayer package that fixes a buffer overflow issue is now
This update has been rated as having critical security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
[Updated 05 Jul 2005]
The previous package for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 did not contain the
proper fix for this issue. This erratum has been updated with a replacement
package that corrects this issue
RealPlayer is a media player that provides media playback locally and
via streaming. It plays RealAudio, RealVideo, MP3, 3GPP Video, Flash, SMIL
2.0, JPEG, GIF, PNG, RealPix, RealText, and more.
A buffer overflow bug was found in the way RealPlayer processes SMIL files.
An attacker could create a specially crafted SMIL file that could combine
with a malicious Web server to execute arbitrary code when the file was
opened by a user. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project
(cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CAN-2005-1766 to this issue.
All users of RealPlayer are advised to upgrade to this updated package,
which contains RealPlayer version 10.0.5 and is not vulnerable to this issue.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- BZ - 159864 - CAN-2005-1766 RealPlayer heap overflow
- BZ - 159868 - CAN-2005-1766 RealPlayer heap overflow
This erratum does not contain any packages.