RHSA-2005:430 - Security Advisory
gnutls security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated GnuTLS packages that fix a remote denial of service
vulnerability are available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
The GnuTLS library implements Secure Sockets Layer (SSL v3) and Transport
Layer Security (TLS v1) protocols.
A denial of service bug was found in the GnuTLS library versions prior to
1.0.25. A remote attacker could perform a carefully crafted TLS handshake
against a service that uses the GnuTLS library causing the service to
crash. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has
assigned the name CAN-2005-1431 to this issue.
All users of GnuTLS are advised to upgrade to these updated packages and to
restart any services which use GnuTLS.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
To update all RPMs for your particular architecture, run:
rpm -Fvh [filenames]
where [filenames] is a list of the RPMs you wish to upgrade. Only those
RPMs which are currently installed will be updated. Those RPMs which are
not installed but included in the list will not be updated. Note that you
can also use wildcards (*.rpm) if your current directory *only* contains
the desired RPMs.
Please note that this update is also available via Red Hat Network. Many
people find this an easier way to apply updates. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
If up2date fails to connect to Red Hat Network due to SSL
Certificate Errors, you need to install a version of the
up2date client with an updated certificate. The latest version of
up2date is available from the Red Hat FTP site and may also be
downloaded directly from the RHN website:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 156856 - CAN-2005-1431 gnutls record packet parsing DoS
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4