RHSA-2005:393 - Security Advisory
kdelibs security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated kdelibs packages that fix a flaw in kimgio input validation are now
available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
This update has been rated as having important security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
KDE is a graphical desktop environment for the X Window System. Konqueror
is the file manager for the K Desktop Environment.
A source code audit performed by the KDE security team discovered several
vulnerabilities in the PCX and other image file format readers.
A buffer overflow was found in the kimgio library for KDE 3.4.0. An
attacker could create a carefully crafted PCX image in such a way that it
would cause kimgio to execute arbitrary code when processing the image.
The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has
assigned the name CAN-2005-1046 to this issue.
All users of kdelibs should upgrade to these updated packages, which
contain a backported security patch to correct these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 152092 - CAN-2005-1046 PCX file integer overflow
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4