RHSA-2005:354 - Security Advisory
tetex security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated tetex packages that fix several integer overflows are now available.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
TeTeX is an implementation of TeX for Linux or UNIX systems. TeX takes
a text file and a set of formatting commands as input and creates a
typesetter-independent .dvi (DeVice Independent) file as output.
A number of security flaws have been found affecting libraries used
internally within teTeX. An attacker who has the ability to trick a user
into processing a malicious file with teTeX could cause teTeX to crash or
possibly execute arbitrary code.
A number of integer overflow bugs that affect Xpdf were discovered. The
teTeX package contains a copy of the Xpdf code used for parsing PDF files
and is therefore affected by these bugs. The Common Vulnerabilities and
Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the names CAN-2004-0888 and
CAN-2004-1125 to these issues.
A number of integer overflow bugs that affect libtiff were discovered. The
teTeX package contains an internal copy of libtiff used for parsing TIFF
image files and is therefore affected by these bugs. The Common
Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the
names CAN-2004-0803, CAN-2004-0804 and CAN-2004-0886 to these issues.
Also latex2html is added to package tetex-latex for 64bit platforms.
Users of teTeX should upgrade to these updated packages, which contain
backported patches and are not vulnerable to these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 137475 - CAN-2004-0888 xpdf integer overflows
- BZ - 137607 - CAN-2004-0803 multiple issues in libtiff (CAN-2004-0804 CAN-2004-0886)
- BZ - 137973 - tetex-latex package missing latex2html
- BZ - 145129 - CAN-2004-1125 xpdf buffer overflow
This erratum does not contain any packages.