RHSA-2005:348 - Security Advisory
mysql-server security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated mysql-server packages that fix several vulnerabilities are now
This update has been rated as having important security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
MySQL is a multi-user, multi-threaded SQL database server.
This update fixes several security risks in the MySQL server.
Stefano Di Paola discovered two bugs in the way MySQL handles user-defined
functions. A user with the ability to create and execute a user defined
function could potentially execute arbitrary code on the MySQL server. The
Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned
the names CAN-2005-0709 and CAN-2005-0710 to these issues.
Stefano Di Paola also discovered a bug in the way MySQL creates temporary
tables. A local user could create a specially crafted symlink which could
result in the MySQL server overwriting a file which it has write access to.
The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project has assigned the name
CAN-2005-0711 to this issue.
All users of the MySQL server are advised to upgrade to these updated
packages, which contain fixes for these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
To update all RPMs for your particular architecture, run:
rpm -Fvh [filenames]
where [filenames] is a list of the RPMs you wish to upgrade. Only those
RPMs which are currently installed will be updated. Those RPMs which are
not installed but included in the list will not be updated. Note that you
can also use wildcards (*.rpm) if your current directory *only* contains the
Please note that this update is also available via Red Hat Network. Many
people find this an easier way to apply updates. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 152437 - CAN-2005-0709 mysql-server update needed for LACD (CAN-2005-0710 CAN-2005-0711)
This erratum does not contain any packages.