RHSA-2005:331 - Security Advisory
XFree86 security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated XFree86 packages that fix a libXpm integer overflow flaw are now
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red Hat
Security Response Team.
XFree86 is an open source implementation of the X Window System. It
provides the basic low-level functionality that full-fledged graphical
user interfaces (GUIs) such as GNOME and KDE are designed upon.
An integer overflow flaw was found in libXpm, which is used by some
applications for loading of XPM images. An attacker could create a
malicious XPM file that would execute arbitrary code if opened by a victim
using an application linked to the vulnerable library. The Common
Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name
CAN-2005-0605 to this issue.
The updated XFree86 packages also address the following minor issues:
- Updated XFree86-4.3.0-keyboard-disable-ioport-access-v3.patch to make
warning messages less alarmist.
- Backported XFree86-4.3.0-libX11-stack-overflow.patch from xorg-x11-6.8.1
packaging to fix stack overflow in libX11, which was discovered by new
security features of gcc4.
Users of XFree86 should upgrade to these updated packages, which contain a
backported patch and are not vulnerable to this issue.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
This erratum does not contain any packages.