RHSA-2005:325 - Security Advisory
kdelibs security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated kdelibs packages that fix several security issues are now available
for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
This update has been rated as having important security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
The kdelibs package provides libraries for the K Desktop Environment.
The International Domain Name (IDN) support in the Konqueror browser
allowed remote attackers to spoof domain names using punycode encoded
domain names. Such domain names are decoded in URLs and SSL certificates
in a way that uses homograph characters from other character sets, which
facilitates phishing attacks. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures
project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CAN-2005-0237 to this issue.
Sebastian Krahmer discovered a flaw in dcopserver, the KDE Desktop
Communication Protocol (DCOP) daemon. A local user could use this flaw to
stall the DCOP authentication process, affecting any local desktop users
and causing a reduction in their desktop functionality. The Common
Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name
CAN-2005-0396 to this issue.
A flaw in the dcopidlng script was discovered. The dcopidlng script would
create temporary files with predictable filenames which could allow local
users to overwrite arbitrary files via a symlink attack. The Common
Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned
the name CAN-2005-0365 to this issue.
Users of KDE should upgrade to these erratum packages which contain
backported patches to correct these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 147405 - CAN-2005-0237 homograph spoofing
- BZ - 148822 - CAN-2005-0365 dcopidlng insecure temporary file usage
- BZ - 150090 - CAN-2005-0396 kdelibs DCOP DoS
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4