RHSA-2005:300 - Security Advisory
libexif security update
Security Advisory: Low
Updated libexif packages that fix a buffer overflow issue are now available.
This update has been rated as having low security impact by the Red Hat
Security Response Team.
The libexif package contains the EXIF library. Applications use this
library to parse EXIF image files.
A bug was found in the way libexif parses EXIF tags. An attacker could
create a carefully crafted EXIF image file which could cause image viewers
linked against libexif to crash. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures
project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CAN-2005-0664 to this issue.
Users of libexif should upgrade to these updated packages, which contain a
backported patch and are not vulnerable to this issue.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 150503 - CAN-2005-0664 buffer overflow in libexif
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4