RHSA-2005:132 - Security Advisory
cups security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated cups packages that fix a security issue are now available.
This update has been rated as having important security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
The Common UNIX Printing System (CUPS) is a print spooler.
During a source code audit, Chris Evans discovered a number of integer
overflow bugs that affect Xpdf. CUPS contained a copy of the Xpdf code
used for parsing PDF files and was therefore affected by these bugs. The
Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) assigned the
name CAN-2004-0888 to this issue, and Red Hat released erratum
RHSA-2004:543 with updated packages.
It was found that the patch used to correct this issue was not sufficient
and did not fully protect CUPS running on 64-bit architectures. The Common
Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name
CAN-2005-0206 to this issue.
These updated packages also include a fix that prevents the CUPS
initscript from being accidentally replaced.
All users of CUPS on 64-bit architectures should upgrade to these updated
packages, which contain a corrected patch and are not vulnerable to these
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 135378 - CAN-2004-0888 xpdf issues affect cups
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3
The Red Hat security contact is email@example.com. More contact details at https://access.redhat.com/security/team/contact/.