RHSA-2005:081 - Security Advisory
ghostscript security update
Security Advisory: Low
Updated ghostscript packages that fix a PDF output issue and a temporary
file security bug are now available.
This update has been rated as having low security impact by the Red Hat
Security Response Team.
Ghostscript is a program for displaying PostScript files or printing them
to non-PostScript printers.
A bug was found in the way several of Ghostscript's utility scripts created
temporary files. A local user could cause these utilities to overwrite
files that the victim running the utility has write access to. The Common
Vulnerabilities and Exposures project assigned the name CAN-2004-0967 to
Additionally, this update addresses the following issue:
A problem has been identified in the PDF output driver, which can cause
output to be delayed indefinitely on some systems. The fix has been
backported from GhostScript 7.07.
All users of ghostscript should upgrade to these updated packages, which
contain backported patches to resolve these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 97583 - [7.05-20.1] gs gets stuck reading /dev/random
- BZ - 136321 - CAN-2004-0967 temporary file vulnerabilities in various ghostscript scripts.
This erratum does not contain any packages.