RHSA-2005:035 - Security Advisory
libtiff security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated libtiff packages that fix various integer overflows are now
available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
This update has been rated as having important security impact by the Red Hat
Security Response Team
The libtiff package contains a library of functions for manipulating TIFF
(Tagged Image File Format) image format files.
infamous41md discovered integer overflow flaws in libtiff. An attacker
could create a carefully crafted TIFF file in such a way that it could
cause an application linked with libtiff to overflow a heap buffer when the
file was opened by a victim. Due to the nature of the overflow it is
unlikely that it is possible to use this flaw to execute arbitrary code.
The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has
assigned the name CAN-2004-1308 to this issue.
Dmitry V. Levin discovered an integer overflow flaw in libtiff. An
attacker could create a carefully crafted TIFF file in such a way that it
could cause an application linked with libtiff to crash. The Common
Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name
CAN-2004-1183 to this issue.
All users are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which contain
backported fixes for these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 144185 - CAN-2004-1308 LibTIFF Directory Entry Count Integer Overflow Vulnerability
- BZ - 144186 - CAN-2004-1183 libtiff integer overflow
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4