RHSA-2005:011 - Security Advisory
ethereal security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated Ethereal packages that fix various security vulnerabilities are now
Ethereal is a program for monitoring network traffic.
A number of security flaws have been discovered in Ethereal. On a system
where Ethereal is running, a remote attacker could send malicious packets
to trigger these flaws.
A flaw in the DICOM dissector could cause a crash. The Common
Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has
assigned the name CAN-2004-1139 to this issue.
A invalid RTP timestamp could hang Ethereal and create a large temporary
file, possibly filling available disk space. (CAN-2004-1140)
The HTTP dissector could access previously-freed memory, causing a crash.
An improperly formatted SMB packet could make Ethereal hang, maximizing CPU
The COPS dissector could go into an infinite loop. (CAN-2005-0006)
The DLSw dissector could cause an assertion, making Ethereal exit
The DNP dissector could cause memory corruption. (CAN-2005-0008)
The Gnutella dissector could cause an assertion, making Ethereal exit
The MMSE dissector could free static memory, causing a crash. (CAN-2005-0010)
The X11 protocol dissector is vulnerable to a string buffer overflow.
Users of Ethereal should upgrade to these updated packages which contain
version 0.10.9 that is not vulnerable to these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 2 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 2 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 2 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 2 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 142952 - CAN-2004-1139 Ethereal flaws (CAN-2004-1140 CAN-2004-1141 CAN-2004-1142)
- BZ - 145481 - CAN-2005-0006 multiple ethereal issues (CAN-2005-0007 CAN-2005-0008 CAN-2005-0009 CAN-2005-0010 CAN-2005-0084)
This erratum does not contain any packages.