RHSA-2004:670 - Security Advisory
samba security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated samba packages that fix an integer overflow vulnerability are now
available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.
Samba provides file and printer sharing services to SMB/CIFS clients.
Greg MacManus of iDEFENSE Labs has discovered an integer overflow bug in
Samba versions prior to 3.0.10. An authenticated remote user could exploit
this bug which may lead to arbitrary code execution on the Samba server.
The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has
assigned the name CAN-2004-1154 to this issue.
Users of Samba should upgrade to these updated packages, which contain
backported security patches, and are not vulnerable to these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 142472 - CAN-2004-1154 Samba authenticated remote root
This erratum does not contain any packages.