RHSA-2004:638 - Security Advisory
gd security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated gd packages that fix security issues with overflow in various
memory allocation calls are now available.
[Updated 24 May 2005]
Multilib packages have been added to this advisory
The gd packages contain a graphics library used for the dynamic creation of
images such as PNG and JPEG.
Several buffer overflows were reported in various memory allocation calls.
An attacker could create a carefully crafted image file in such a way that
it could cause ImageMagick to execute arbitrary code when processing the
image. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has
assigned the name CAN-2004-0990 to these issues.
While researching the fixes to these overflows, additional buffer overflows
were discovered in calls to gdMalloc. The Common Vulnerabilities and
Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CAN-2004-0941 to
Users of gd should upgrade to these updated packages, which contain a
backported security patch, and are not vulnerable to these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 137246 - CAN-2004-0990 integer overflow in PNG handling.
- BZ - 138808 - CAN-2004-0941 additional overflows in gd
This erratum does not contain any packages.