RHSA-2004:635 - Security Advisory
ruby security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
An updated ruby package that fixes a denial of service issue for the CGI
instance is now available.
[Updated 17 Jan 2005]
Errata has been updated to include 32-bit libraries on 64-bit architectures.
Ruby is an interpreted scripting language for object-oriented programming.
A flaw was dicovered in the CGI module of Ruby. If empty data is sent by
the POST method to the CGI script which requires MIME type
multipart/form-data, it can get stuck in a loop. A remote attacker could
trigger this flaw and cause a denial of service. The Common
Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name
CAN-2004-0983 to this issue.
Users are advised to upgrade to this erratum package, which contains a
backported patch to cgi.rb.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 138362 - CAN-2004-0983 Denial of Service in Ruby
This erratum does not contain any packages.