RHSA-2004:615 - Security Advisory
libxml2 security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
An updated libxml2 package that fixes multiple buffer overflows is now
libxml2 is a library for manipulating XML files.
Multiple buffer overflow bugs have been found in libxml2 versions prior to
2.6.14. If an attacker can trick a user into passing a specially crafted
FTP URL or FTP proxy URL to an application that uses the vulnerable
functions of libxml2, it could be possible to execute arbitrary code.
Additionally, if an attacker can return a specially crafted DNS request to
libxml2, it could be possible to execute arbitrary code. The Common
Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name
CAN-2004-0989 to this issue.
All users are advised to upgrade to this updated package, which contains
backported patches and is not vulnerable to these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 137264 - CAN-2004-0989 multiple buffer overflows
This erratum does not contain any packages.