RHSA-2004:466 - Security Advisory
gtk2 security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated gtk2 packages that fix several security flaws and bugs are now
The gtk2 package contains the GIMP ToolKit (GTK+), a library for creating
graphical user interfaces for the X Window System.
During testing of a previously fixed flaw in Qt (CAN-2004-0691), a flaw was
discovered in the BMP image processor of gtk2. An attacker could create a
carefully crafted BMP file which would cause an application to enter an
infinite loop and not respond to user input when the file was opened by a
victim. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org)
has assigned the name CAN-2004-0753 to this issue.
During a security audit Chris Evans discovered a stack and a heap overflow
in the XPM image decoder. An attacker could create a carefully crafted XPM
file which could cause an application linked with gtk2 to crash or possibly
execute arbitrary code when the file was opened by a victim.
Chris Evans also discovered an integer overflow in the ICO image decoder.
An attacker could create a carefully crafted ICO file which could cause an
application linked with gtk2 to crash when the file was opened by a victim.
This updated gtk2 package also fixes a few key combination bugs on various
X servers, such as Hummingbird, ReflectionX, and X-Win32. If a server was
configured to use the Swiss German, Swiss French, or France French keyboard
layouts, Mode_Switched characters were unable to be entered within GTK
Users of gtk2 are advised to upgrade to these packages which contain
backported patches and are not vulnerable to these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 130450 - CAN-2004-0753 bmp image loader DOS
This erratum does not contain any packages.