RHSA-2004:451 - Security Advisory
Security Advisory: Important
An updated spamassassin package that fixes a denial of service bug when
parsing malformed messages is now available.
SpamAssassin provides a way to reduce unsolicited commercial email (SPAM)
from incoming email.
A denial of service bug has been found in SpamAssassin versions below 2.64.
A malicious attacker could construct a message in such a way that would
cause spamassassin to stop responding, potentially preventing the delivery
or filtering of email. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project
(cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CAN-2004-0796 to this issue.
Users of SpamAssassin should update to these updated packages which contain
a backported patch and is not vulnerable to this issue.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 129337 - CAN-2004-0796 DOS attack open to certain malformed messages