RHSA-2004:414 - Security Advisory
qt security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated qt packages that fix security issues in several of the image
decoders are now available.
Qt is a software toolkit that simplifies the task of writing and
maintaining GUI (Graphical User Interface) applications for the X Window
During a security audit, Chris Evans discovered a heap overflow in the BMP
image decoder in Qt versions prior to 3.3.3. An attacker could create a
carefully crafted BMP file in such a way that it would cause an application
linked with Qt to crash or possibly execute arbitrary code when the file
was opened by a victim. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project
(cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CAN-2004-0691 to this issue.
Additionally, various flaws were discovered in the GIF, XPM, and JPEG
decoders in Qt versions prior to 3.3.3. An attacker could create carefully
crafted image files in such a way that it could cause an application linked
against Qt to crash when the file was opened by a victim. The Common
Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the
names CAN-2004-0692 and CAN-2004-0693 to these issues.
Users of Qt should update to these updated packages which contain
backported patches and are not vulnerable to these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 128720 - CAN-2004-0691 BMP decoder heap overflow
This erratum does not contain any packages.